Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Baking Disaster!

One day I decided I wanted to try making Maple Pecan Plaits, you know, those ridiculously addictive Danish Pastries that they have at supermarkets and petrol stations? Yes super yummy right? But you may have already guessed by the title of this post that it didn't go so well. So very very badly. Sadly at the time I did not know this so being super positive I decided to be awesome and take step by step pictures, lucky for you I'm not annotating them as that could take all night!

To see in all their glory1. 015, 2. 017, 3. 018, 4. 019, 5. 021, 6. 023, 7. 024, 8. 025, 9. 027, 10. 029, 11. 032, 12. 033, 13. 034, 14. 036, 15. 037, 16. 043
For the filling I used the Maple Pecan recipe from the BBC Good Food website for the pastry I cheated. Thats's were I think it all went wrong. Did you know that premade pre-rolled puff pastry is not the same as Danish Pastry? I had an inkling, but I am lazy! I've watched Top Chef, I saw that guy get sent home because of his store bought pastry, I should have known this would end badly! The pinwheels stuck to the tray and not one single pastry came out whole. It was a sad state of affairs. I decided to change tact halfway through and actually plait the pastry with what remaining filling I had left, but only one came out looking vaguely like the inspiration. I also burnt myself, two little tiny burns on the tips of my fingers but this is not pictured! Overall the pastry was terrible but the filling was lovely!

The next day I decided to bake my favourite recipe from Dr Oetkers Baking book that my Mom has had for years! We use the Marzipan Coffeecake recipe but change the filling to a cinnamon and sugar mix and rename it Sweet Roll Cake! It's a huge family favourite and there is always arguments over who ate the last piece (usually my little brother when everyone's asleep or at work!)

I usually make this for breakfast on Christmas morning in a loaf form but have been adapting it of late to take to places almost as a gift. These little buns were brought to my dear friends Will and Adam's when I helped Will destash his fabric and go through some of his old uni art supplies on Sunday.







I think that this has spawned two future baking sessions. In one I shall attempt to make my own Danish Pastry and in the other I'll try the Maple Pecan filling in the Sweet Roll Cake dough. I'm looking forward to a sugar coma!

No comments:

Post a Comment