Sunday, 2 October 2011

End of September, Beginning of Something New

Last month we house sat for friends of ours who have three kittens and three cats. We didn't see much of the big cats, (I think that Olly scared them!) but the little kittens were still too small to go outside.

The Bonny Blueberry

The Bonny Blueberry

The Bonny Blueberry

If I'm honest, it was amazing to have that one week to ourselves, plus the kittens. I don't really talk much about my specific surroundings because, well to put it bluntly, they're not all too impressive. A 25 year old who lives with her fiancée in her mothers house. Not exactly awesome if you get what I mean, and I'm always a little embarrassed by it. This isn't how it's supposed to be right?.

Two years ago Olly and I lived with some friends of ours in an awesome house where we had a floor to ourselves. I'm talking own bedroom (obviously) own bathroom and a craft room! Yes all my crafty stuff was contained in a room of it's own. Sadly, things went a bit sour and when the lease was up, we all decided to go our own ways. But that found us almost homeless with no savings for a deposit on another rental. Cue moving in with my mother.

Now I'm not saying I regret this decision, more the decisions that came afterward. Moving in with Mom meant that more of our income was freed up. What should have been going into savings was turning into more nights out, a pretty dress here and there and a general excess of stuff. So two years on and we're still in the same place.

But enough is enough. I have seen the glorious independent light. I want out. So here comes the hard core saving plan of action.

Part One - I'm using my money to pay of my debt... Almost £2K's worth, but I can do it in three months. I know I can (I've made a spreadsheet!)

Part Two - Olly is using his money to save a deposit (I'd like to point out that I've been the only one contributing to our JOINT savings account since January, so this is justifiable while I get myself out of debt!)

Part Three - We're going to try to sell some of our belongings. Earlier today we took advantage of eBay's free insertion (hehe) weekend and listing things for realistic prices instead of the usual free 99p start price we usually do! All this money can go into the savings.

There are some other parts, but I don't want to get too over zealous right now and crash and burn. We'll see how it goes. But for now I'm super optimistic that we will be in our own new place by the start of the new year.

1 comment:

  1. KITTENS!!! ... ok, now that I have that out of my system. YOU CAN DO IT! Debt sucks. Can't wait to see your new place in the new year :)

    ReplyDelete