Friday, 9 July 2010

I Make Things... I really do!


Yes, it is true! I do make things. I've been going through a bit of a dry spell recently though. This blog, work and getting things organised to actually make things has left me with little time to actually make new things.
The above quilt blocks were started last year but have been relegated and never made into anything resembling a final product. This makes me sad. I have always wanted to make a quilt but never actually managed to. Those string quilts blocks were the first I have ever made and I am so in love with them! Quilting itself poses many questions and requirements that I'm not sure I can ever finish one. Quilting is a huge mathematical equation, I'm not sure I'll ever figure out how much fabric I'd need to make a kingsize quilt!
The second picture is of a Springtime in Philadelphia hat I made at the start of the year. It took me three starts before I was actually happy with how I was working it! I do love it although it rarely gets worn. For my birthday my lovely fiance bought me three skeins of Malabrigo Worsted and I have completed one Starcrossed Slouchy beret with another on the needles as a Christmas present for my mother. I have lost momentum on that however and it has been relegated to my knitting bag.
Before I can actually make anything new or my upcoming venture I need to organise the dining room so that I can use the table as a workspace. This is easier said than done. Especially when I can't really sort it out myself. Hopefully this Sunday will be the one where I can have some help with sorting it out. Then that evening can be used to start prototypes. Progress can be made.
On Monday I am going to Olly's Dad's house to work on my other venture. Perfecting an amazing vanilla/yellow cupcake recipe so we can start selling them through his catering business. Once that's done we can work on variations and flavours. I am quite excited about all the things in the pipeline, but I am also scared. I work 30+ hours a week and also use my spare time to work an evidence folder to accompany my Top Level promotion at the end of September. I think I need to learn better time management and to work in blocks of time. I've never been very good at juggling things. I guess I'll have to learn to be though if I ever want to quit retail working and be my own boss!


1 comment:

  1. Oo, I'm excited to find a fellow canterburyite into knitting, craft, cupcakes and tea! :) That hat looks fantastic, I must dig out my needles from all our unpacking (we've not been here very long) x

    ReplyDelete