Saturday, 3 July 2010

The Elegant Lamb


Outside my workplace next to the bus station there is a little lamb statuette. I have no idea what relevence it has to anything. It is the first thing, other than all the shops, that people see as they get off the bus and walk into town. Apparently it was representative of commerce and was to be replaced by a sheep once the newly built shopping area had been there for a year. This hasn't happened yet. Often when I am outside on one of my breaks I see tourists taking pictures next to it. I have seen it in various states of dress, twice it has been the 'victim' of graffiti in style of Knitta, Please! which made me extremely upset that I hadn't thought of it (a knit sweater for a lamb! Oh the irony!) But yesterday the lamb had gone upmarket and was wearing a lovely Liberty of London scarf! I can only imagine that the lamb felt very elegant!
On the walk home I saw that my local charity shop had this beatiful boat for sale. I just love the colour, that green is a particular favourite of mine. Sadly £45 is too much for my tiny purse to spend on a boat that I had no room for. When I returned home though, Olly presented me with this book Square Foot Gardening: A New Way to Garden in Less Space with Less Work. On various searches into gardening I had often come across people talking about this method and was always intrigued. As we don't really have a garden of our own yet we've been planting things in long planters without much thought into growing anything. Neither of us has a particularly green thumb, I have a whole proprogator full of failed seedlings, so I thought that this book might help us understand growing things, particularly in confined spaces.
Tomorrow is Independance Day and for the first time in I don't know how long we will actually be celebrating it. My Mom rarely has the day off when it rolls around, funnily enough England doesn't celebrate losing one of its colonies! This year however it is a Sunday so we're going to have a big barbecue and cupcakes frosted in red, white and blue! No fireworks sadly as they are hard to find in Summer bizarrely.

1 comment:

  1. I'm fond of that lamb ... although rudely, it never gets dressed up for me, just sits there in the buff. :P

    ReplyDelete